Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Where is the mileage data stored in a '94 Oldsmobile Bravada? The instrument cluster or somewhere else?

I was sold a '94 Bravada recently. The seller told me that the instrument cluster had been recently changed. I asked if this had modified the mileage. He said, "no," that data is not stored in the cluster. A friend who owns a '94 GMC Jimmy (pretty much same car as I understand) thinks that his mileage was modified though when he replaced his digital cluster.





Who is right? Will replacing the cluster on a '94 Oldsmobile Bravada modify the mileage?|||My research indicates that it is stored in non-volatile RAM chip in the instrument cluster. If the seller was able to find an instrument cluster with a lower mileage, that may be the reason it was replaced. You cannot pulse the odometer input to decrease the mileage. You can pulse the input to INCREASE the mileage. When you get to 999,999 miles, the data is latched - it does not roll over to 000,000 so you can't reset the mileage to a lower value unless you replace the instrument cluster.





I would look at the title to the vehicle AND the registration history to see if the mileage increased during each registration.|||I believe the mileage is stored in the main computer and possibly also in a chip inside the instrument cluster.

No comments:

Post a Comment